Everywhere in nature or in the reserves, opportunities to observe the local fauna are diverse.
This zoo has the largest collection of birds of Central America. One of only two in the world to accommodate resplendent quetzals.
It is also a rescue center for mammals and reptiles.
Travel time from TACACORI EcoLodge : 20 mn
The Serpentarium has more than 150 snakes from fifty species worldwide, focusing in particular on endemic species.
Snakes, some frogs, crocodiles and other reptiles live in cages simulating their natural habitat.
Travel time from TACACORI EcoLodge : 1 h
- They are the smallest birds in the world.
- For their size, they have the largest heart and brain of all animals.
- They have no sense of smell.
- Their wings beat about 60 times per second.
- Their hearts beat about 500 to 1,200 times per minute.
- They are only found in North, Central and South America.
- They visit 2000 to 5000 flowers per day.
- They can consume twice their weight daily.
- They fly only 20% of the time.
- Their average speed is 72 km/h (45 miles per hour).
- Their tongues are twice the length of their beaks.
- They also eat insects, a source of protein.
- They cannot walk, only perch.
- Their color is produced by refraction of light, not by pigment.